Strawberry Soda Cake

Strawberry Soda Cake

It was my birthday this past Friday, and I celebrated as I always do… by baking myself a cake.

Now don’t go feeling sorry for me or anything, I prefer it this way. I mean, have you looked around my blog?🙂 When someone enjoys baking this much, they’re hardly going to be happy with some crappy grocery store cake. Besides, there doesn’t seem to be many occasions that warrant a full blown 2 layer cake, so I kind of have to grab the opportunities when I can. It gives me a chance to experiment with flavours, and I’ll be the first to admit that my cake decorating skills need practice.

Strawberry Soda Cake

So what flavour did I chose for myself this year? I actually decided several weeks ago, while grocery shopping. In the cooler section I was checking out the pop selection… I don’t drink the stuff (hate the carbonation), but I was contemplating flavours for an unrelated baking experiment… That’s when I noticed Strawberry-Lime Soda! Strawberry soda birthday cake? Yes Please!

Now if you can’t find a strawberry flavoured soda, I see no reason why another fruity flavour couldn’t be substituted. Grape soda paired with grape jelly could be really fun, and would perhaps be more suitable for a boy’s party… Also, keep in mind that this cake is on the sweeter side, so choose a frosting wisely (keep with a less sweet variety). I highly recommend the one I used here (see link included in the recipe), it’s my favorite🙂

Strawberry Soda Cake {vegan}

Update: I recently moved and have found that this cake is not rising as much in my new oven. It is approximately doubling in size but unfortunately, not achieving the hight you see here. I’m continuing my experimentation to try to recreate what is pictured. Still moist and taste, just not as high and fluffy.

Strawberry Soda Cake

2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1 1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Non-Dairy Yogurt (I used coconut)
1 1/3 cup Strawberry Soda (I used Jones Strawberry Lime)
2 – 4 tbsp Strawberry Jam (a smooth one without whole strawberries)
Vanilla Frosting

The night before baking, open your bottle/can of soda and allow it to sit overnight at room temperature, so it has a chance to go flat.

Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare two 8-inch round cake pans.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.

Beat margarine until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat on medium until well combined. Add vinegar and yogurt and  beat for 1 – 2 minutes.

Add the flour mixture in 2 or 3 additions, alternating with the soda. Beat until just combined after each addition.

Divide the batter evenly between the two cake pans and smooth to the edges.

Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans and transferring to cooling rack.

Assemble cake after layers have fully cooled. Spread 1 or 2 tablespoons of jam on each layer. Spread some icing on top of what will be the bottom layer. Flip top layer (so jam is facing downward) and place on top of bottom layer. Finish icing and decorating cake as desired.

45 thoughts on “Strawberry Soda Cake

1. lucylox

That cake is to die for! Any cake made by someone else would surely be a disappointment! What you say soda do you mean the fizzy stuff or the syrup you can use to make fizzy stuff?
    Happy belated Birthday xx

1. Starr Post author

Thank you🙂 I thought that the pop added a fun element (especially for kids), and I’m definitely going to try including it in other future recipes.

2. Pingback: Happy Birthday To Me! | Snippets From Starr

3. Ally

Happy birthday Starr🙂
    Wow, I have never made a cake with soda. I have clearly been missing out. We have a couple of birthdays coming up in our family. Maybe I can make this for one of them!
    Yep, you would HAVE to make your own cakes. You definitely shouldn’t settle for mediocre.🙂

1. Starr Post author

Thank you Ally! It was my first soda cake, but I’m sure it won’t be my last. I’m already planning what I could do with other flavours :-)… If you give it a try, let me know what you think!

1. Starr Post author

Thanks! The cake was enjoyed by everyone, even Harvey (our kitty) liked it! I discovered that he stole a few nibbles when no one was looking😀

4. Laurie

Looks delicious! A gorgeous color without using gross ingredients.

What is the reason for the soda to go flat, first? I bake often with club soda and never let it go flat (mostly because I bake on a whim and I’m impatient, I suppose…)

5. jammed-thoughts

I just made this and it hardly rose at all! I was surprised, given the carbonation from the soda (mine was still fizzy when I used it!). It looks nothing like your pictures but the taste and texture are divine. Any clue as to what I did wrong? I did reduce the sugar to one cup and used half xylitol (I was experimenting to decide whether I want to use this recipe for my sister’s birthday, and it’s the only one I’ve found that will make a properly pink cake without food coloring! I’d really like to give it another go)

1. Starr Post author

I’m so sorry that your cake didn’t rise properly, that must have been so disappointing… I don’t have any experience baking with xylitol, so I can’t say if that had any effect on the outcome. However, things I do know can influence the rising are old baking powder and baking soda (maybe test yours for freshness/activeness), not beating the margarine mixture enough (I beat my batter for a solid 2 minutes, to incorporate adequate air), or your oven may be running too hot (I test mine periodically with an oven thermometer). I hope this helps and you have better luck with your next cake.

1. jammed-thoughts

Ah, I think I must not have beat the margarine long enough, then! I’ll give it another go soon and report back. This round did make for delicious cake balls, at least!

6. agandhinz

Hi am going to make this cake for school as one of the girls are dairy free and i am really excited to because the pic is so enticing. i was just wondering if i can use a raspberry fizzy drink instead of the strawberry because we don’t have strawberry drinks here. would it turnout the same, light and fluffy?😀
    The pic is amazing!

1. Starr @ The Misfit Baker Post author

Thank you so much! A raspberry soda would absolutely work! Actually, any fruity flavoured soda will work, it just changes the flavour is all. I would use a seedless raspberry jam in place of the strawberry jam, to co-ordinate the flavours… Let me know how it turns out!🙂

1. agandhinz

Yep…I definitely will let you know and thanks for letting me know😀
        umm sorry one more question. what does the cake kind of taste like, as in can you taste the drinks flavour clearly or is it a little blander?

2. Starr @ The Misfit Baker Post author

It’s been a couple of years since the last time I made this cake, so you’re testing my memory now🙂 … If I remember correctly, it’s sweet with a light fruity flavour. That’s why it’s best to match the jam to the fruit soda, so that the strawberry (or in your case, raspberry) is more pronounced. I hope this helps.

1. Starr @ The Misfit Baker Post author

That is dissapointing😦 … Generally I avoid soy milk and yogurts because I don’t like their flavour, but still when I have used soy yogurt (in a pinch) in my cakes, it hasn’t been detectable. Perhaps the brand available to you was particularly strong tasting… Did you frost the cake? If you used the frosting I recommended and used soy milk in it, that would also aggravate the problem. If soy milk is the only non-dairy milk available, perhaps try using light coconut milk (from a can)… If you wanted to try the cake again without that brand of yogurt, you could try making my tofu sour cream to use in place of it. It’s still a soy product but has a mild flavour. https://themisfitbaker.com/2015/08/05/vegan-sour-cream/

7. agandhinz

umm the cake was alright tho the class really liked it but it was rather sense even tho i cooked it quite overtime. luckily the icing was powerful in flavour and managed to hide the soy away a bit.
    but thank you loads for the recipe, suggestions and help!😀

8. theanointedbaker

Hi, and thanks so much for the recipe! I have a question: do you think a diet fruit soda would work? I’d like to make this asap but would also like to cut back on the sugar-if possible…..