Looking for a good vegan pie crust? This is my goto recipe. Not only does it bake up nice and flakey, but it’s easy to roll out and work with too!
Recipe Type: Dessert
Makes: 1 double-crust 9-inch pie
- 2 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Shortening, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- 1/4 cup Plain Non-Dairy Yogurt 1
- 2 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Cold Apple Cider Vinegar
Stir the yogurt, water, and vinegar together until thoroughly combined. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt. Toss in the pieces of shortening. Cover and freeze mixture for 30 minutes.
Remove flour mixture from the freezer and, using a pastry cutter or fork, cut the shortening into the flour, until no pieces are larger than a pea. Add the liquid mixture and mix with a fork until the dough just pulls together. Do not over mix.
Divide the dough in half and form each half into a disc. Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.
1 Use a mild tasting yogurt (if the yogurt tastes unpleasant to you, so will a crust made with it). If you can’t find an appropriate yogurt, my homemade tofu sour cream also works great.
– The dough can be made and refrigerated unto 5 days in advance (if it’s been refrigerated for more than 1 hour, allow it to warm at room temperature for 5 minutes before rolling).